Saturday, May 5, 2012

I am so disappointed in my blog. I have not posted here for so long, and so much has been happening this past term, I will attempt in the next two months to catch up all the exciting and interesting events, work and projects that have been worked on at Chine and the Learning Commons in particular. Well, I just checked in with Ken Oppel; he last posted one month ago, then hadn't posted since 5 months before that. Now I don't feel that bad. Here now, the news about why I have been so side-tracked from posting...
WILLY WONKA JR!!!

I am one of 3 staff supervisors of our school musical production staging next week. I have always loved theatre, it comes from the literary works of thousands of our published authors. The extension of taking literary words and having our students memorize and perform the stories on stage, is an astounding and amazing undertaking.

Extra-curricular participation is volunteer work on the teachers' part. I have spent every Wednesday after school from 3:30 to 6pm overseeing our students (when I wasn't at at hockey practice or hockey game with our team). So far, this work has taken about 35 hours. Then there is the gathering and tracking the collection of props and costumes for each student.  For the creation of certain props and costumes, gathering materials, shopping for materials, crafting, cutting, gluing and sewing. About another 15 hours of volunteer hours. As we go into the performance week, I have to plan around the evening being at work:
- there will be 2 full dress rehearsals after school, 3.5 hours each
- plus the 2 evening performances, which will go roughly from 5 to 9pm.

I am not complaining, don't get me wrong. People just need to really take into account the hours of unpaid service that thousands of teachers are putting in the time to ensure that students get the opportunity and benefit of participating in school productions. I applaud the amazing musically talented and theatrically inspired teachers of the world who continue to go the extra hours for the communities they work in.

Break a leg Chine students! Can't wait to see the results of our work. Will post pictures soon.
Promised!

guardian librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

A library book opens the door to visit anywhere in the world

A library book opens the door to visit anywhere in the world
Lago di Como, Lombardia, Italia